25 July 2012

Miss Pronunciation VI

This one comes courtesy of my wonderful colleague and friend across the ditch, Kirstie O'Sullivan.

We trained together and I quite possibly learned more about the kind of teacher - and person - I wanted to be from her, than I did through my official training.

Enough of the gushing.

I never forget when I am corrected on pronunciation - and I am always gracious when this happens - how else does one learn?

Remuneration. Read it slowly. Yes. I know it's about numbers, but the M comes BEFORE the N.

Quite often I hear this pronounced as re-NUM-eration (rɪːnjuːməreɪʃən). I did myself until the divine Ms. O. pointed out the fault.

Please. Similar to the post regarding 'UTMOST' - don't manipulate the pronunciation of the word to fit the sense.

It's re-MUN-eration - rɪːmjuːnəreɪʃən.

No comments:

Post a Comment